Roger Federer won his ninth Wimbledon title this week. That's pretty amazing for such an "old" guy, I think he's 35ish or 37, I forget. In tennis years, that's old.
I've been thinking about the people who give it everything they have and come up short. The weekend runner, who trains for months, signs up for the big marathon, and struggles across the line a few hours after everyone else has finished with little fan fare. A few of the die hards, clapping for the last of the few remaining fellow die hards.
The same runner, who limps to the car, drives home, and soaks in the tub for an hour or so, just to spend the next few weeks still limping. Finally realizes yep, I may have hurt myself, and the doctor confirms it.
It's worth it to finish the marathon, but maybe the injury isn't worth it. The ever present phrase...."Maybe I shouldn't have done that." or "Maybe I should have stopped when I knew I was injured."
I'm that runner.
The past two years sure took a toll on this old body and mind. Was it worth it? In so many ways, yes, in so many ways no.
I'm such a contradiction.
| Easy like Sunday morning.... |
| These two keep me entertained and smiling. :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment