Saturday, January 31, 2015

Rain Days and Bullmastiffs

Tucson - Day 2
Friday it rained all day in Tucson, which is rare for the area.  There was a short break in the early morning which allowed me time to dig through the SUV for warm clothes.

After searching around the backseat, I turned around and was greeted by a huge brown bullmastiff with a huge grin.  He looked friendly enough but he weighed well over 100 pounds, and he was soon joined by another bullmastiff who didn't look quite so happy.  He was a mixture of something, and most likely, pit bull. Actually, both must have been mixed breeds because they were both quite tall and muscular.

Uh oh.  These two dogs are the type of dogs that can do serious harm to a person, namely me!  I backed up and jumped into the front seat of the SUV and waited.  Both turned and headed around the uHaul, and I made my escape to the house.  Not running which I know not to do, but I didn't get far, and both dogs cornered me 15 feet from the house.

I backed up against the pine tree, and what do I say, "Shoo...go home.  Shoo, Shoo."  Shoo?  Isn't that an old lady term?  Egads!  I couldn't even muster a "Get the F... out of here?"  My next brilliant move, I picked up a stick, actually a 3 foot twig with a few pine needles at the top, and I begin swinging it wildly..."Shoo...Shoo...Go home," shaking it in the dog's faces.  

The twig waving held them off, or probably confused the hell out of them and it was now a stand off.  Me - 15 feet from my friends front door and 10 feet from the SUV: 2 Bullmastiffs - staring at me. Both grinning and drooling, probably because I was their morning meal.

My friend hearing the commotion from the house,  popped her head out of the front door, and asked if I was okay.  "Uh, No," still waving my twig wildly.  "Should I call 911?"  "Yes, I think so. That might a good idea."  Just then, the dogs turned and started jogging down the sidewalk which allowed me to make a dash to the house. 

I called Pima Animal Control and reported the wandering pair.  The woman at PAC was on top of it, and sent a officer to patrol the area immediately.  Both the dogs had collars and were well cared for and it appeared they had obviously escape their home or backyard.

I always wondered how people could get killed by large dogs, certainly these people could fight or outrun these dogs, but now I know.  There would have been no way for me to get away from either of these dogs or fought them off if they had decided to attack.  Even one, by himself, would have caused serious damage.

The rest of the day was relatively calm, rainy of course.  I did learn it is impossibly to fix a gutter when it is raining and the gutter is full of water. 

Tucson Arizona
#bullmastiffs #Tucson Arizona #Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment